The striking similarities between Entrepreneurship and Dating.
Entrepreneurship is defined as: “the process of starting a business or other organization. The entrepreneur develops a business model, acquires the human and other required resources, and is fully responsible for its success or failure.” Dating is defined as: “a part of human mating process whereby two people meet socially for companionship, beyond the level of friendship, or with the aim of each assessing the others’ suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or marriage.” The key factor here is that of “each to his or her own,” in both aspects of entrepreneurship and dating — career or personal — you’re responsible for the success or plummet of a progressive, fulfilled future.
Even by definition, the two terms go hand-in-hand. In both standings of the professional mindset and that of someone participating in the search for love, the approach to good entrepreneurship and a healthy dating perspective rein similarities.
- COMMITMENT. Be it starting a new business or venturing into a relationship, commitment is essential. Such new “projects” (for lack of a better word), require focus, attention and flexibility. If you a mistake in business, you commit yourself to figuring things out and going from there, so should be true when it comes to dating.
- MARKETING YOURSELF AND PRESENTING POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES. Being good with entrepreneurship is all about putting your best foot forward. When you sell an idea, you sell yourself. It’s an age-old business tactic. The same stands true with love. When you meet someone, present your best qualities. Don’t go into it loathing over insecurities, no one will want to invest in something/someone that seems on the downwind. Show potential for future growth!
- KNOW YOUR MARKET GOALS. In a business plan, you mark out your thoughts and desires for years in advance, and then you take action to reach those check points. If you’re looking for love, know what you want and seek that out. It doesn’t benefit anyone wasting time on someone you know isn’t suitable for your long-term goals.
- NETWORKING. Get out there! Meet people! Connections do wonders. It’s all about putting yourself out there and seeing what comes back to you in return. You attend business-coordinated events on a regular basis, so when it comes to love, do the same. Seek out some options such as dinner parties with friends who bring new friends, dating events, online dating sites, etc.
- ASKING FOR HELP. When in the weeds of uncertainty, asking for help is a fundamental business stone. Same stands for romance. Talk to your friends, hire a matchmaker (such as Elite’s Trudy Gilbert), read some helpful books — not everyone is good at dating. If you’re having trouble, maybe you just need a little squeak to clean things up.
- BEING WARY OF POTENTIAL FUTURE PROBLEMS. Forecasting future issues in business means being ready for what lay ahead and planning thoughts/ideas for such circumstances. When it comes to dating, for instance, if you become romantically involved in someone that might have to move to London in a year, make sure you consider such aspects into your current relationship. Keeping such long-term thoughts in mind will help you thrive over the present, easing into your future together — thus, limiting shocks that could otherwise be crucial.
- ACCEPTING REJECTION. In business, doors are bound to slam in your face. No successful entrepreneur has avoided hearing the word “NO” over and over again. Keep this in mind when you approach dating. You’re looking for love, maybe a relationship for a lifetime. What are a few rejections along the way?
- COMMUNICATION. Keep your thoughts clear. You wouldn’t ignore your clients or steer them in the wrong direction, they would pull out of business without a second thought! Don’t confuse love to be any different. Communication is the forefront of any positive relationship, be it professional or personal.
Known as Australia’s Millionaire Matchmaker, Trudy Gilbert has been featured on Channel 9’s Today Show, Mornings, The Morning Show, A Current Affair, Today Tonight, Sky News, Insight, 2GB, ABC FM and most recently appeared in the top rating The Real Housewives of Melbourne. She also speaks regularly at networking events and has recently published her tell all book on dating 49 Secrets of an Elite Matchmaker.